Before asking how a private investigator performs a background check, we need to know what a background check is. An individual, company or other entity can perform a background check. Performing said checks holds the objective of unveiling certain information or confirming its accuracy.
Traditionally, performing a background check was only really done to uncover criminal records. In other cases, companies would perform these before partaking in a significant business venture. This has changed however, it is now common for all sorts of entities to perform background checks. It’s not just by companies requesting these services now. Both individuals and business often contact private investigators to request a background check.
Why Private Investigators Carry Out Background Checks
There are a plethora of reasons why someone might ask a private investigator to perform a background check. Below are a few examples:
- Landlords often screen tenants before comitting to signing a contract with them.
- An individual or business may request a background check before entering into a major deal with another entity. For example, before comitting to a merger or a long-term supply contract.
- People often request background checks when dating online. They may perform a background check on a potential romantic partner before meeting with them in person. This can ensure safety before meeting with them.
- Marriage is a serious committment. It is not uncommon to request a background check of ones spouse. At times, these services are requested to make sure there are no unexpected or nefarious secrets in their potential spouse’s life.
- The most common of all of these is screening candidates for employment. Both large and small organizations request these before taking someone new on board.
- Performing a background check on a witness before court is also widely practised. This can help avoid any surprises in court that may affect proceedings, or reveal an unreliable witness.
There are many reasons someone might perform a background check, and private investigators often help with many of these types of cases. In fact, some PIs will specialize in specific types of background checks.
What Types of Background Checks are There?
It goes without saying that different checks are required for different situations and people. No one case is the same, and context is key. As mentioned prior, some private investigators specialize in certain types of background checks. So it is important to know what kind of check you need, so you can choose the right PI for you.
- Criminal record checks are some of the most commonly performed. Employers perform these most often, and they involve confirming whether someone has a criminal record or not. If they have one, it can reveal the specifics of their convictions too. Landlords and spouses request services like these too.
- Financials. Financial insitutions often request financial background checks on individuals or larger entities. A financial background check may reveal inconsistencies and anomalies in spending and credit.
- License status checks are important too. An individual or business may want to confirm if the party they are entering business with holds their required license. This may also be necessary when simply employing someone’s services.
- Driving License or record. If a certain position requires a driving license confirmation of the holding of said license and its status is often necessary.
- Personal Background Check. These types of background checks can vary tremendously. From a romantic partner wanting to know who they’re getting involved with, to a landlord wanting to make sure their new tenant is sound.
Private investigators are capable of performing a wide variety of background checks. They rarely leave any relevant information uncovered, and can help you get to the bottom of any situation. If you find yourself in need of a licensed private investigator and their particular set of skills, please feel free to call us. Or simply click on this link to get in contact with one of our team members.